As a Nutritionist and Fitness Coach, I get some variation of this question every day. Often people expect a silver bullet that will “drop” the monstrous 10 pounds instantly. But realistically, the HEALTHY way to lose weight is to lose 2 pounds a week. Anything beyond that is water weight and muscle loss.
Create a routine around your weight loss.
- Examine your current eating habits. Stop dining out and cook at home. Restaurants cook with low-quality ingredients, high sugar, fat, salt, and other chemicals.
- Eliminate processed sugar (sodas, desserts, candy). It’s hard at first, but after a while, you will stop craving it. Watch out for hidden sugars in coffee creamer and other food additives.
- Eat 3 small meals with 2-3 small snacks in-between. The goal is to eat every 3-4 hours, keep your blood sugar and energy balanced. Plummeting in blood sugar levels will cause unnecessary cravings and munchies.
- Your main meal plate should include lean protein, a large serving of green veggies (high in fiber), and a serving of whole grain or starchy carbohydrates.
- For a snack opt out for fruit with some healthy fat like nuts or nut butter. A protein shake is another great snack option.
- Drink plenty of water. Many people mistake thirst for hunger. Drinking water will keep your belly full.
- Burn 300-500 calories in the gym daily. Use a tracker like Fitbit or apple watch.
- Get a full night sleep!
If you mess up once, don’t kill yourself over it. Your day is not ruined. Just pick up at the next healthy meal. Remember it’s about consistency over time. Once these good habits have been formed, you’ll keep the weight off for good.